*edit: someone told me that I am a defiantly female, and there is so much more to being trans than passing and “the surgery.” I totally agree these are reasons given to me. I wrote a few pages as to how each of these are wrong!
I recently thought of some of the many things that have been said to me about being trans or why I should not “become” trans, there are many more but this is what I can bring myself to remember right now:
- You are only doing this because Kaitlyn Jenner has made it look cool
- You are only doing this because Kaitlyn Jenner makes it look easy
- Kaitlyn Jenner can afford the surgeries to look like a woman
- Kaitlyn Jenner can afford to have “the surgery”
- Kaitlyn Jenner…
- You will never pass as a woman
- You will become a street worker
- You will lose your home
- You will rely on drugs and need to work the street to pay for them
- You will lose your job, no union will be able to protect you
- You will lose your SGI income
- You will need to live on the street because homeless shelters wont take you in
- You will never be able to afford “the surgery”
- No one will ever take you seriously
- You are not a real transgender because real ones know at a young age
- You are not a real transgender because real ones try on there parents clothing
- You did not come out of the closet, coming out is for gay people
- You should not tell anyone that you are trans
- You do not look like a Reann
- I know more than you, and I know you are not transgender
- If you go through with this you are dead to me
- You are going to throw away all your privilege
- It is just a phase, you will get over it
- You will look back and see that this was a mistake, once it is to late
- You are a man, you will always be a man nothing you can do will change that
- What makes you think you are transgender? Real transgender people know why
- You are just doing this to make friends
As I told this person, “When I give speeches I do not tell who made the comment but this is the only one I share, I always get a good chuckle out of this one. Let me tell you there are 1 000 000 000’s of ways that are easier to make friends than to come out as trans. Sure I have made some new friends from people I would have never met if I stayed in the closet, but that is not why I came out.”
- What would Troy think?
Troy is my deceased brother, who passed away when he was 10, 18 years ago.
I must have forgotten this one because of how disgusting and hurtful it is.